A Popular Choice In RV’s Today
Lug_Nut, with a product class point of view. With the economy slowly improving and banks loosening their grip on loans, RV sales are increasing in many areas. One of the brightest stars in this recovery seems to be the Class B motor home. These are the smaller, van like, vehicles that are manufactured by such companies as Roadtrek, Pleasure-Way, Thor and Winnebago. Sales for these types of recreational vehicles soared to a 32% year over year increase during the first eight months of 2012. The market share certainly belongs to Roadteck, capturing 35.8% of the Class B sales. They are followed by Pleasure-Way at 19.9%, closely trailed by Thor at 19.3% and Winnebago securing 16%.
So, why are these motorized RV’s becoming so popular? Well let’s look at some of the advantages they may have over that of a Class C or A.
- Attractive price point ranging from $65K to over $100K for new.
- Easy to drive and park in urban areas, requiring no special license.
- Thrifty on fuel and available in gasoline or diesel powered.
- Can operate as a lone vehicle or a daily driver.
- Can be stored at home in the driveway in nearly any city.
- Can travel in locations not accessible to larger rigs. ie: Going To The Sun Road.
- Much of the servicing can be done at your local repair shop.
- Much more energy efficient to maintain interior temperatures in all climates.
Okay, but what about the home comforts and conveniences? Well, no shortage there. The inside seems surprisingly large given the vehicle’s footprint. There is plenty of room for housing two occupants and even entertaining a visiting couple. Dining for four is easily accomplished encompassing the use of the two front seats turned rearward with two behind forward. Conveniences of head and shower, large fold out bed, satellite TV, stereo, galley, and much more are well located within the sleek shell.
If you have never been in a Class B, or have not experienced some of the newer designs, you owe it to yourself to take a look. Next time you are at an RV show, or pass a dealer that sells Class B’s, go in and take a look. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
With A Glimpse of the B - Lug_Nut - Peter Mercer