What are YOUR Favorite Memories of the Andy Griffith Show?

July 4, 2012 by Loloho.com · 23 Comments

As Ramona Wiley once wrote to her Barney Beloved, “the tears on my pillow bespeak the pain that is in my heart.” If you are like me, news of Andy Griffith’s passing left you shedding a few tears.

We camp because we want to simplify, slow down, and enjoy fundamental pleasures. In a way, this is what The Andy Griffith Show was all about. Who wouldn’t want to spend a few days in Mayberry?

We could set up camp out by the lake. (We’d need to watch out for escaped convicts.) If we needed supplies, we might go into town and visit Ben Weaver’s department store. Better watch your speed on Turner’s Grade, because Barney might be writing tickets. We could grab lunch down at the diner (where we’d finally meet Juanita). Our fancy cellphones might not work out at the lake, but in case of emergency we could always get Sarah on the land line.

What are YOUR favorite moments from The Andy Griffith Show? Click the pic to tell us on Facebook!

Along with many of my generation, I discovered The Andy Griffith Show in the 1980s. The Griffith show thrived in reruns. Heck, there was a time when the show was broadcast locally for three hours a day; at noon, at 5:30, and finally at 10:00.

During my college years, watching the show was a daily ritual for me and my friends. Every evening, we’d gather around the TV with our dinners and enjoy an hour of Andy.

What made The Andy Griffith Show so special?

The writing and acting and sets and even the music were phenomenal. But what made the show three dimensional were the characters. Andy, Barney, Aunt Bea, Opie, Helen, Thelma Lou, Otis, Gomer, Goober – and don’t forget Floyd. Some would also add the town of Mayberry as a character, too.

The Andy Griffith Show was a comedy that did not rely on jokes. It relied on characters, and stories that were rooted in love. Sure, there were moments of gut busting humor – but we kept coming back for the love.

I’m not talking about drippy sappy love, but rather the affection and kindness that people, in their best moments of daily life, demonstrate for one another. Andy Taylor treated Barney and Aunt Bea and Opie and his fellow Mayberry residents with love and respect, and they reciprocated.

My favorite episode? It’s always tough choosing favorites, but one of my faves is “Mr. McBeevee.” In this episode, Andy is forced into an uncomfortable parenting predicament. Opie seems to be telling lies about an imaginary friend, and perhaps even using those falsehoods to steal. Andy must decide whether and how to administer discipline. It’s funny, touching, and uplifting. That’s the Griffith show in a nutshell.

Happy birthday, America,

Rest in peace, Andy Griffith.

What are YOUR favorite moments from the Andy Griffith Show? Favorite episodes?

The author's ebook about RV camping can now be borrowed FREE in the Amazon Kindle Lending Library (for Amazon Prime members using real Kindle devices). Even if you don't have Amazon Prime, it's only $2.99!

Last 5 posts by Loloho.com

Comments

23 Responses to “What are YOUR Favorite Memories of the Andy Griffith Show?”

1. butterbean carpenter on July 4th, 2012 4:52 pm

Howdy Kristy & Sean,
    Yes, I too ‘loved’ Andy Griffith, but ‘hated’ TV and commercials.. Andy was the WHOLE SHOW; STAR, writer, producer, director and the star salesman… I’m glad he was able to die with dignity and not have to see what’s fixing to happen to our great nation… Yep, Mayberry may have been a ‘dream’ town, but we are ALL of the folks who lived there…

2. C.S. (Sean) Michael on July 4th, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks Butterbean, and yes, Andy was one of a kind. With regard to his show, we can honestly say, “They don’t make ‘em like they used to!”

3. Cheddar on July 4th, 2012 6:22 pm

Nice Tribute … thank you!

4. DangRV on July 4th, 2012 8:09 pm

I loved the episodes where he played and sang with the Darlings but my favorite will always be “Man in a Hurry” on a Sunday afternoon when a businessman in a hurry had his car break down and got stuck in Mayberry waiting for Gomer’s cousin to fix it or wait for the next day. He learns the value of slowing down, taking it easy, and sitting on a porch.

5. catchesthewind on July 4th, 2012 10:20 pm

I remember Andys monologue where he announces a football game. It was a priceless gem of comedy.

6. Liz on July 5th, 2012 3:10 am

I saw the shows when they were new. I remember laughing at how the different men “wooed” their girlfriends, especially when Ernest fell in love with Helen and wanted a diploma so he could get his other girlfriend to marry him.

I also liked how Andy would teach Opie and his friends by telling a story or making the punishment fit the crime. This was defintely a show for all the generations to watch when it was first on or after repeated repeats.

Like someone said “they don’t make them like that anymore.”

7. John Hilley on July 5th, 2012 6:47 am

You can experience Mayberry by staying at the Mayberry Campground and seeing all of the Mayberry sites in Mt. Airy, NC including Floyd’s Barber Shop and have a pork tenderloin at the Snappy Diner

8. Fred Brandeberry on July 5th, 2012 6:55 am

Hi Guys & Gals:

Really good info from the items above.

MY wife, Betty< was born in North Carolina.

We will visit next summer.

Happy camping,
    Fred b.

9. FRANK on July 5th, 2012 6:58 am

My favorite episode was when Opie raised the little birds after the mother bird was killed, and after awhile, Andy talked Opie into releasing them from their cage and Opie said “Boy the cage seems quiet now”, and Andy said,” Yeah, but don’t the trees sound beautiful!”

10. Tom S on July 8th, 2012 11:04 pm

Best episode was “aunt Bea’s pickles.

I watched the original series in the 60’s

Good Stuff…… so good I watch the reruns

Andy Griffith was supposed to have been the lead comedian. He quickly recognized that Barney would be the comedian playing to Andy the straight man.

11. KGoss on July 11th, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks for the e-book info. Read your ebook and loved it. :)

12. Homer on July 13th, 2012 8:56 pm

Andy was the best.

I love any episode with the Darlings.

13. camping trailers on July 20th, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks a lot for the share. Great page.

14. ysj on July 26th, 2012 11:22 am

15. abercrombie on August 12th, 2012 8:01 pm

A volte mi piacerebbe credere che la gente oggi sarebbe solo ottenere uno stile di vita e rendersi conto di quanto sciocca appaiono. I implicano, perché attualmente spamming, è un mezzo di hacking o di qualche cosa. Basta cessare, per favore, io preferisco studiare la gente anche altri pareri sai. comunque, publish eccellente. solo sbarazzarsi in favore dello spam. grazie.

16. kckettridge on August 15th, 2012 9:39 pm

I loved the Andy Griffith Show as well…..I often say, “I would love to go back to those day’s with today’s technology…but then again, that is what made those times so special. No cellphones, no computers, no rushing to get nowhere. Social Media in those day’s was gathering on the front porch on a summer evening and just “hanging out with family and friends”
    I would watch Andy Griffith every evening just to “decompress” from the busy day’s I have.
    RIP Andy Griffith….we sure are going to miss you!

17. Home Inspector on August 20th, 2012 10:07 am

One of my favorite Andy Griffith show was when Opy got caught smoking and the lesson he had to learn as a kid. It kept me from not smoking. Man, I wish the show was still running with new episodes. They don’t make TV like they used to anymore.

18. Korbe on August 21st, 2012 4:22 pm

We have many favorite episodes, but a couple of segments have made it into our every day lives. The first one is how Aunt Bee would snap her finger and point, to get Otis to get back to work, at the ‘rock’. My wife will often snap and point to get me going. The other segment is when Andy and Barney are sitting on the front porch after church. Barney is so relaxed he mentions about taking a nap, visiting Thelma-Lou, getting some ice cream or a soda, but never gets up from his chair. Out campin’ when I’m kicking back and relaxing, I may make a comment about taking a nap or visiting Thelma-Lou, or just about doing anything, but not moving at all.

19. The Unemployed Mom on September 4th, 2012 12:02 pm

Great Information…

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!…

20. http://essaystorage.com/ on September 18th, 2012 12:15 pm

Interesting information. I like those things

21. Conntek Integrated Solutions on September 21st, 2012 2:18 pm

Oh my. How long it has been since I have thought about this classic television show. I was an 80’s baby, and I did not watch the show until in the 1990’s.

But the most memorable part of the Andy Griffith show was always the opening tune. When I stumbled across this blog I found myself whistling away!

22. Couponsreach on September 23rd, 2012 4:41 am

Thank you for your great information! Best regard

23. my website on December 2nd, 2013 8:29 am

safe power leveling and gold…

I feel somewhat blessed to have seen your entire website page and look forward to tons of more fun minutes reading here…