Rand McNally TripMaker® RVND™ 7710: Multi-Stop Trips

October 29, 2011 by Chris Guld · 32 Comments

rvnd-nextstopWe have been evaluating the Rand McNally TripMaker® RVND™ 7710. Our favorite feature of the device is all the ways it can inform you about sights and services that are coming up just ahead in your route. We wrote about this in our previous article ‘What’s Up Ahead.’ Today, my topic is Multi-Stop Trips.

With most standalone GPS devices, you get directions to a single place. The trip starts from where you are. You are asking, ‘How do I get from here to that single place.’ The RVND is one of the devices that allow you to plan and save trips with multiple stops. When you reach one stop the device notes that you have arrived at your first destination. When you turn it on the next time, it is ready to pick up where you left off and guide you to the next stop. Here is a video that shows exactly how to create a multi-stop trip with the Rand McNally TripMaker® RVND™ 7710.

Trouble watching this video? Try the Youtube version.

Last 5 posts by Chris Guld

Comments

32 Responses to “Rand McNally TripMaker® RVND™ 7710: Multi-Stop Trips”

1. Bill on October 29th, 2011 4:36 pm

I appreciate the last two posts on the RM GPS, but what we RV’ers want to know is how well it maps routes for RV’s. I and my friends following these posts have large RV’s (mine is a 40 foot 5th wheel towed by an HDT). Does the mapping software route properly for big RV’s?
    Thanks.

2. Chris Guld on October 29th, 2011 5:04 pm

Bill,
    Do you have a sample trip that I could enter into the GPS and then show you exactly how it routes it? All I have is my own experience (and I do intend another post on this) but, I would like to have some more specific examples. It is supposed to route properly based on entered height, length, weight, and propane tanks.

3. Chuck D on October 29th, 2011 6:04 pm

Darn, I buy a good GPS and this comes out six months later. Oh well, guess I stuck with a good GPS. Wait, that did not sound right!!

4. R. Mcintire on October 29th, 2011 8:07 pm

I saw a demostration at RV show, and liked the list of Walmart storesw and if overnight parking was allowed or if you needed to contact mgr. amongst other features.
    I too purchased a new model recently and would have waited if I had known this was coming out

5. Bill on October 29th, 2011 8:08 pm

It’s been a while, but our Garmin took us to Country Acres campground in Ravenna Ohio by way of a shortcut under a just tall enough overpass. And when I say just tall enough, I mean my wife had to get on the ladder in back and make sure we would make it. We were coming from VA.
    Other than that, we are just interested to know if it routes properly for big rigs such as no small side streets, tight u-turns, etc. I guess time will tell.
    And we appreciate all your info.
    Bill

6. julie rea on October 29th, 2011 8:41 pm

I had a sample route done on the 5″ RVND in July at the Good Sam Rally. I have a 38′ motorhome, 12′ high. The route was from Vancouver, WA to Netarts, OR. The sample route did not take me on the truck route, it took me through Tillamook, OR, right thru city center, making an almost impossible right turn.

Has the new, 7″ version been updated to avoid this RV UNfriendly route?

7. Ed Nickerson on October 30th, 2011 1:45 am

The low underpasses are not our only problems sometimes the software take you down roads where you can not turn around, or it becomes a dirt road. I forget where we were but the gps said to go streight, the road was narrow and my navigator (my wife) said she did not like the looks of the road and i should go right. Our detour was maybe eight miles and when we went past the road we would have had to have been on there was a sign “private road” with a locked gate. Maybe we could have turned around in someone’s yard if we had gone the shorter way the gps wanted us to go. I was talking to my brother-in-law one time and told him how I directed a trucker on CB. He told me that he hopes the driver read the signs as I had sent him over a few weight restricted briges. I gave him good info but not good for a truck or a big RV.

8. Geoffrey Pruett on October 31st, 2011 10:07 am

Have the same problem with a “new” device as Julie Rea had. Garmin who have enough unit out to have solved most of the problems seems to have the same rigid mind set as Macro soft, no one who matters lives west of big muddy. The headache with Garmin is so well know to south coast mechants it is part of the speil, a road between 99 and an access road has been abandoned by both county and state and the surface resembles a tank trap with little usable turn arounds but is still in garmins programming. Sent them an Email and was ignored except for a reminder to upgrade. Already done and since my email is on file they could have figured this out. Ran a service business for many years, if we had provided service like this we could have been used in the Maytag commercials.

9. Ray Palandri on October 31st, 2011 11:17 am

I think that this unit looks pretty good and designed just for RVs, but another one just came out, I believe that it’s made by Garmin?, that is designed specifically for RVs with a 7 inch screen and I was wondering how these two units compare?

10. Ray Palandri on October 31st, 2011 12:27 pm

On my previous question, I just learned that the other unit is the Magellan Road Mate 9165T endorsed by Good Sam and Trailer Life. I am interested in these two units and would love to see a comparison of the two.

11. Al Elvena on October 31st, 2011 4:31 pm

I was very interested in the Rand Mcnally gps until I went online and read the “readers comments”. Most of the comments I read were not very good. It appeared the main problem was that the screen was not visable enough in the daylight… I recently visited the local Camping World store and they had the new Magellan 9165T which they were raving about ! Said they couldn’t keep them on the shelves they were so in demand.! Priced @ 399.00, minus Pres. Club discount of 10 % I decided to wait until user’s comments started appearing. I was really surprised that Rand Mc. had so many poor comments, but happy I checked online…

12. marianj on November 1st, 2011 1:12 pm

Guess I’ll just keep using the good old map.

13. Dave K on November 4th, 2011 12:50 pm

Great posting here Chris, it is appreciated. I like the trip planning features you showed. Will it allow me to plan a trip on my laptop and download it to the device? I love using the trip planning features of streets and trips or similar programs and if these could be downloaded to the 7710, that would be fabulous.
    Thanks

14. Jim Etenburn on November 6th, 2011 8:47 am

I just received my Rand McNally Tripmaker RVND 7710 and immediately use the multi stop feature. I am extremely pleased with it. The only time I noticed a problem seeing the screen is if the sun was directly on it and even then if I put my hand up by the screen to block the sun I could see it just fine. Man, I love this unit! It is so feature rich it puts most GPS’s to shame. I got mine from Camping World (best price I could find). I would recommend this to anyone. I hope this helps some of you looking at buying a new GPS.

15. Rv Back Up Camera on November 16th, 2011 1:24 pm

Looks like an awesome device to help plan your trip. These days, there are so many tools that make RVing safer and more fun. You can also look into getting your RV suited with a vehicle backup camera to help avoid unnecessary accidents.

16. Jax on November 27th, 2011 10:55 am

We just ordered the Rand McNally RVND 7710 with free lifetime maps from Amazon. I hope it works out. I appreciate the comments and reviews. That is what I have based my decision on. I will let you know how I like it when I get it.

17. Jax on December 1st, 2011 9:39 pm

Well the new Rand McNally RVND 7710, just arrived. Nice size, good looking display with good resolutions. Touch screen is very quick and responsive, Mount even looks good and sturdy and fully adjustable. Update maps is reasonably simple, and easy to keep up to date regularly. Syncing is kinda like the I pad. Setting rig size seems simple enough, and setting warning distances from any marker or warning can be set, including speed limit change, curves, hills, low bridges ect. A warning above posted speed limit can be set to what ever you want. It also has a good list of WalMarts and campgrounds. List private, corps, National ect. And easy to find if they are along your route.

Setting a trip up is a little more difficult, but probably just a matter of getting used to it. To find a new destination/ new location, you do not go to state, no you go to address, City center or intersection. Type in Tulsa, Dallas little Rock, no problem, a list will pop up with the location. Could not find a town that was not listed, if spelled correctly and proper prefix, for city center. For Mount Pleasant TX, have to use MT instead of Mount. You can also get there with zip code or GPS. Remember, you can’t go to state first!!!! Seems like a problem at first but it is not. Small, very small towns are listed.
    You can set a trip with multiple destinations, and shown as legs. Save trips by name. Save address and location.
    There is a button on the unit to enter or correct any info you find wrong, such as an address will not access, bridge limits wrong, construction ect, and it is transmitted the next time you sync.
    So far it looks good, just hope it works well on the road.
    Will let you know.

18. Ned on January 23rd, 2012 6:55 am

Chris, I prefer to do my own routing with the aid of good mapping software and download it to my GPS. My experience is not to trust ANY GPS with your routing; you may find yourself in an area you do want to be in. I avoid major cities like the plague and most GPS’s try to take you right through the middle. I also researched this unit and there are a lot of negative comments. It may be the right choice for some but I prefer the DIY approach.

19. Ned on January 23rd, 2012 6:58 am

just wanted to add if you have a GPS that does routing; then you can do the same multiple stops routing.

20. Karl Thomas on March 16th, 2012 7:15 am

I have two problems with my RVD. Firstly, from time to time the GPS locks up and I have to reset to restore operation. Secondly I use this GPS for my multistop route. I normally have 25 stops. While I can enter the 25 stops I cannot use the reorder feature to optimize the route. Are there any plans to increase the reorder function.

21. wood windows on June 20th, 2012 8:20 pm

… [Trackback] …

[...] Read More here: blog.rv.net/2011/10/rand-mcnally-tripmaker-rvnd-7710-multi-stop-trips/ [...] …

22. ניסור בטון on June 26th, 2012 6:48 am

… [Trackback] …

[...] Read More: blog.rv.net/2011/10/rand-mcnally-tripmaker-rvnd-7710-multi-stop-trips/ [...] …

23. Monnie Igo on July 13th, 2012 4:24 pm

It’s really a cool and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

24. ta lån utan fast inkomst on July 18th, 2012 1:05 am

I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thank you, I will try and check back more frequently. How often do you update your web site?

25. Brandie Fuesting on July 25th, 2012 3:01 pm

There are actually numerous particulars like that to take into consideration. That could be a nice level to convey up. I provide the ideas above as normal inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you carry up the place crucial thing will likely be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around issues like that, however I am certain that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Each girls and boys really feel the affect of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

26. Alisa Englemann on July 26th, 2012 1:21 am

Hello.This post was really fascinating, particularly because I was searching for thoughts on this topic last Thursday.

27. colon cleanse on July 27th, 2012 11:44 pm

I do consider all of the concepts you have presented for your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very brief for newbies.

28. colon cleanser on July 27th, 2012 11:54 pm

very rarely do i come across a blog that’s both informative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

29. Homepage on August 13th, 2012 7:21 pm

… [Trackback] …

[...] Find More Informations here: blog.rv.net/2011/10/rand-mcnally-tripmaker-rvnd-7710-multi-stop-trips/ [...] …

30. Richard on September 3rd, 2012 4:10 pm

Bought a RVND7710. First trip it wanted me to turn up a neighbors driveway. I was on the road I needed to be on to get to the camp ground which was 15 miles away. The GPS wanted me to go through town. I was on a 4 lane headed straight to the camp ground. On the way home it wanted me to get off the interstate (I26 in SC) and go in a direction that would take me through a lot of red lights. Then when I was 7 miles from home the GPS showed 25 and tried to take me through 2 different narrow neighborhoods. The it finally recalculated. I was on the road I live on. Received it on 8/31/12. Got a return goods authorization on 9/3/12. If you buy one you better look at a map first. It has some good features but the directions suck.

31. west palm beach installment loans on April 18th, 2013 1:49 am

Cool sites…

[...]I came across a cool page that you might enjoy. Check it out[...]……

32. zayıfla lida on May 22nd, 2013 9:12 am

Websites worth visiting…

[...]here are some links to sites that we link to because we think they are worth visiting[...]……