Introducing the Magellan® RoadMate® Pro 9165T…The Ideal RV Travel Companion.

August 1, 2011 by Trailer Life Directory · 29 Comments

Magellan GPS,  the Good Sam Club and Trailer Life RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory have teamed up to offer the all-new and exciting RoadMate Pro 9165T, a robust GPS device that is specifically designed for those who love to RV.

This new GPS device combines the core strengths of Magellan, Good Sam and Trailer Life Directory.

RP9165T_1

Magellan Roadmate Pro 9165T GPS Receiver

Powered by the Directory, this is a must-have tool for RVers, providing over 11,700 comprehensive listings for the U.S and Canada which include Wi-Fi and Internet access, pet-friendly campground locations, Good Sam Club discount locations, Trailer Life’s exclusive triple rating system and other points of interest specific to RVers.

The extra-wide, high-definition 7-inch touchscreen offers large vehicle and RV settings to customize routes based on vehicle height, width, length and weight, allowing drivers to plan safe routes in advance.

And, with an extremely versatile Heavy Duty Extension Mount designed for vehicles with deep dashboards, you can easily make adjustments to get the viewing position that works best for you. Your drive will be more comfortable, safe and enjoyable for you, your family and friends.

The RoadMate Pro 9165T is the first 7″ GPS navigator made especially for RVers. Customizable for your vehicles and powered by Trailer Life Directory, it offers easy navigation as well as great places to stay and things to see and do, so that every trip is uniquely yours.

FEATURES:

• Extra-large, high-definition 7” touch screen provides routing and POI information on a huge display that is 50% larger than a standard 4.3” screen
  • Extremely versatile Heavy Duty Extension Mount designed for vehicles with deep dashboards, fully adjustable for comfortable and safe viewing
  • Large vehicle/RV settings adjust routes based on vehicle height, width, length and weight, as well as driver route preferences
  • Highway Lane Assist guides you towards the correct land when approaching interchanges and exits.
  • Built-in Bluetooth® turns your RoadMate Pro into a hands-free speaker phone
  • Easy to Find: Good Sam Discount Locations, Camping World, RV Travel Services, Things to See and Do PLUS More.
  • Comprehensive Campground information includes: WiFi, Pets Welcome, Big Rig Friendly and Trailer Life Directory’s Triple Rating System for privately owned RV Parks.

Magellan RoadMate Pro 9165T GPS receiver come with  pre-loaded maps of United States, Canada and Puerto Rico; extension windshield mount; vehicle power adapter; USB cable; AC Adapter; User Handbook.

For more information visit www.TrailerLifeDirectory.com

Last 5 posts by Trailer Life Directory

Comments

29 Responses to “Introducing the Magellan® RoadMate® Pro 9165T…The Ideal RV Travel Companion.”

1. ROD PHILLIPS on August 2nd, 2011 6:17 pm

I have a Magellan 1700 can I get the info from a 9165t installed on my 1700???

2. Steve on August 2nd, 2011 6:24 pm

What about “Directory” updates? Does the RoadMate Pro 9165T get automatic updates or do you have to buy the updates every year?

3. Richard Drescher on August 2nd, 2011 7:20 pm

I would like to echo Mr Phillips coment. I recently purchased a Mod. 1700 GPS and would love to upgrade the software to the 9165T system.

4. Gary on August 2nd, 2011 7:27 pm

Same as the last subject. Approximate cost and actually, how good is it??

5. William L Thomson on August 2nd, 2011 7:33 pm

At the price, it would be nice if they included lifetime map updates. Even $25-30 more would be an attractive feature, considering construction projects, etc. Update the POI’s also. That is why I switched to Garmin for my daily driver. Magellan’s update price was almost the price of a new unit. The traffic info service is nice IF you are in an area that has it.

6. Bob L. on August 2nd, 2011 8:23 pm

Notice the never give US the important info???!!!! What about the updates??? sorrty but have a gps built in in my 2011 F350 dually and already need to buy a update as it was built 15 months ago. ($35.00 + and good for one extra update in 6 months.) ADDS up to lot of money to us on a limited budget. what did you say about the warrenty ?????? good that it has the extended arm for the $300,000+ rigs. Seems as if these informercials are for the rich and bored.

7. Peter Drummond on August 2nd, 2011 8:42 pm

Is there an android app for this navagation plan which I think includes all the Good Sam RV sites in the US and Canada? At a price of course.

8. julie rea on August 2nd, 2011 8:57 pm

I checked this out at the Rally in Redmond, OR. I had it do a “test” route to get from Vancouver, WA to Netarts, OR. When all info put in for a 38′, class A, the route was NOT one a large RV could take (I know, my map took me that way over July 4 weekend). If info put in for a Class B, the route was perfect – followed the truck route. Now, how many times would you want to try to route your large RV, using a Class B size??? And how many times would it take you a good way, and how many would it be a “wrong” way?
    The new Rand-McNally GPS for RV’s also did the routing incorrectly for a Class A.

9. Jerry X Shea on August 2nd, 2011 11:12 pm

We bought one at The Rally – It was the Good Sam RV parks and ‘Other RV Parks” that had it over the Rand-McNally system. The big plus for us it that you can punch in the places you want to go to when you come to a town. IE: Stapels, Starbucks, Subway, WalMart, RiteAide, etc. and it helps you find gas stations, RV repaire, Post Office – you name it – you just set it up and only punch one time and you got it for each town you come to it directs you right to the place.

10. Roger Morgan on August 3rd, 2011 7:04 am

I bought one at the Redmond Rally, I really liked the demo which included the rest stops etc. However it is now in the GPS pile with two other brands. I have not had time to contact them about my problems but will. Primary problem was the mount would not stick to the windshield or dash and it kept locking up which was a pita.
    Hope to get it resolved soon. Used it on return home from Redmond to Arizona so it was not just a short test. Also there are no instructions but are available on the internet I think, but did not use on the road. When it keeps falling off the suction mount it gets old real fast.
    However I do like it and look forward to getting the items fixed.

11. SAMG on August 3rd, 2011 7:34 am

To ROGER MORGAN and others- The Magellan in my vehicle is mounted with velcro hook and loop available at many stores. On the verticle middle of my dash in my car and will be anywhere in the class A. Didn’t like it obstructing windshield view or being in other’s plain sight. Many models can be purchased with lifetime update using an internet computer to do so. A few things- If you stray off route your POIs may change position and GPS will give you faulty directions. I’ve observed their distance jump from a few miles to over 10. Good indication they’re bogus. Solution? Also on stormy days signal may be spotty. If you go to the Magellan site to look for updates, several models are usually represented by an update. The 3030 I have was not listed on their website. Product support told me use other model updates and that works. Haven’t been back to find out if my model is listed.

12. Geoffrey Pruett on August 3rd, 2011 9:04 am

Bought the 4 inch unit from a Radio Shack 3 years ago and was very happy until it was needed in an area with newly finished (2 years) highways and provided dangerous instructions. Contacted Garmin and was told unit was at least 5 years old and needed new software at a price 2/3 of purchase price. No where on the packaging was date of software mentioned and tech support fumbled around just to mention this. Did the upgrade and it works fine now but it will be a cold day in that hot place before I replace with one that does not have the software install date or free upgrades included in the price. The present system is bait and switch and should be treated as such.

13. Bill Shuster on August 3rd, 2011 10:00 am

Will there be additional cost for updates on Roads, park and Campground directory, weight and size limits etc., etc., etc. I can see piles of upgrades and additional costs tomming now.

14. Bill Shuster on August 3rd, 2011 10:01 am

COMING not tomming

15. Steve J on August 3rd, 2011 3:15 pm

Just to be clear, this GPS comes preloaded with information on RV pars?? That is pretty handy.

16. Trailer Life Directory on August 3rd, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for all the comments and feedback – we’ve compiled some additional information that we hope you find useful.

The Roadmate Pro 9165T software and feature updates are free of charge and can be updated via Magellan Content Manager. (Free software download).

Updates to the pre-loaded Trailer Life Directory RV Parks and Campgrounds information and upgrades to Map data will be available in the future. The data in the device now is the latest version and Magellan is working on an upgrade program, please ensure you register your device at http://www.magellangps.com. Magellan will communicate to their registered users when program is available. (Data updates for the 9165T are particular to that model and not convertible to another model.)

Class A routing: The 9165T has no pre-set “Class” information built-in. The information and detail of vehicle profile will help determine the route.

If you experience problems with the suction mount. An adhesive disk for just this issue can be purchased from www.magellangps.com which will provide a secure and stable suction solution.

The complete user manual can be downloaded at http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=290&nav=0,16,19,369

Additional user reviews can be found at: http://www.rvwithtito.com/2011/07/magellan-roadmate-pro9165t-gps-gps-made.html

The retail cost is RoadMate Pro 9165T is $399.99. Good Sam Members can purchase the Roadmate Pro at a discounted price of $359.99 from the Travelstore at http://www.trailerlifedirectory.com/TravelStore/ProductDetails.aspx?productid=2A6N&effortid=9CG

17. Ron on August 4th, 2011 12:10 pm

I rec’d my 9165T GPS today and I checked with the MAgellan wesite and found a software update. The unit came with software 1.200 and the update is 1.23.
    I have a Windows XP system and even when the PC reconizes that I have the MAGELLEN(spelled out as “E” drive) hooked up with the UPS cable, when I go through the software update process, it says that the 9165T cannot be found. I’ve done a reset, etc, and still cannot update to the lates software.

18. Magellan_Support on August 4th, 2011 6:05 pm

Ron,

Thank you for responding so quickly to our email. I’m glad you were able to install the latest RoadMate 9165T software update using an alternate computer.

Magellan Support

19. Ron on August 5th, 2011 10:03 am

After I was able to update the software in my 9165T I then went out on the highway to give it a try. I set things up with my vehicle length, width, height (in inches, even tho the box picture shows feet and inches). The ONLY choices for vehicle type were:
    TRUCK with 1 trailer,
    TRUCK with 2 trailers,
    TRUCK with 3 trailers,
    SEMI/TRACTOR with 1 or more trailers.

There are no settings for an RV of any type. Even when I left out my vehicle description, the unit defaults to a commercial truck with one trailer.
    The GPS then guided me right past my destination to a major intersection where it directed me to make a U-turn, and back track to the location. I could have very easily have made a left turn into the destination, but this GPS seemed to be treating me as a commercial vehicle and gave me a much longer route. I checked the GPS database and discovered that the MAP being used is the North American TRUCK database. After driving around some more with the unit, and plugging in a few other destinations, I determined that this unit is routing me as a COMMERCIAL TRUCK and not a privately owned RV. This GPS cannot be used in a dingy, or a smaller Class A or C, unless you want to be routed like a commercial truck. Even tho the box says this unit was “Made for RV’s” the ONLY thing that they have done is install some RV POI’s such as RV parks, etc, BUT, and to me this is major, this unit is really a commercial truck GPS. I do not even know if this unit will route me to places like the Blue Ridge Parkway, or other locations, where commercial vehicles are prohibited. One other thing that I found irritating was that apparently the lane guidance is only on major freeways. I took it down a major east west road through our city, which is a 6 lane divided road, and there was no lane guidance. All things considered, the display is large, the POI database seems complete, the setup is quick and fairly user friendly, BUT I still feel that this is a commercial truck GPS unit, with a few RV POI’s inserted. It may be useful for a large Class A coach, or a large 5th wheel rig, but for any smaller units, or for anyone that would like to use this in their dingy/pickup after parking, this is not the GPS for you, unless you do not mind being routed as a commercial vehicle. I was expecting an RV specific GPS, as mentioned in the advertising, but I felt that all I got was a commercial truck specific GPS, with some RV parks loaded in the database.

20. Huge Johnson on August 8th, 2011 3:11 pm

I think some of you haven’t used GPS devices for very long and aren’t familiar with the products that are out in the market. As with anything, there are limitations with what can be done with what sort of data is available. If I am not mistaken, the Magellan product uses Navteq maps just like the Rand McNally, so the only difference in routes will be in their software. I played with the Rand McNally and thought it was a little slower than the Magellan.

As for updates, NOBODY gives FREE updates, you pay for it in the price. You can find a whatever unit for say $150, the one that has “FREE” updates is $200 for example. I think that Magellan is fair for having all these features for their price, it’s just a little bit more than the regular one and you get the restrictions and RV parks.

The extended mount is about perfect for our truck (Dodge) but has a little jiggle in it, so I set the bottom right on the dash to give it a little support. Unless you have a small truck, I don’t think the regular car mounts will work that well without a dash disk. I have a in dash navi in the truck, but it routes only for cars. It also has Bluetooth so I don’t use the one on the Magellan.

One thing I wish it had was a quick dump site finder like the Rand McNally, but I heard it might be coming out soon as a free update.

21. William Weed on August 28th, 2011 4:20 pm

I learned a lot from all of you. I was looking for a gps for my rv and you have helped me to understand what I, at least, needed to be looking for.
    Thank you all!

22. C. Caldwell on September 21st, 2011 5:37 pm

Magellan web site says map updates will not be free but cost the user. For the price, they ought to be at no charge. I’ll not buy.

23. Lyn & Garry on September 24th, 2011 3:16 pm

The Magellan RoadMate Pro 9165T is not RV friendly and we are returning it. Here are the reasons why.
    FIRST, it is advertised for RV’s, but when you get to “vehicle type” the only choices are Trucks/Semi.
    SECOND, you can’t plan a trip. I wanted to plan an upcoming trip from Kansas to Texas, but it starts me at my present location in Colorado.
    THIRD, you can’t save a trip, like the one I was trying to plan.
    We had upgraded our CoPilot Live v8 software for the computer a few months back, but weren’t too happy with some of their changes. This experience has made us look at this software again, and in doing so have taken the time to really work with it. Liking it more and more. It’s amazing what reading the manual can do for ya!!
    CoPilot Live v8 does have an RV type. You can plan trips and save them. If you have a certain route you want to take, you can change ’stops’ to ‘way-points’, and go on the exact road you want. The screen of my computer is bigger and easier to see. If you don’t want to use your personal laptop, heck buy a small one for just this use. At the price of laptops these days, you can get one cheaper than the Magellan. Oh, I just remembered that you can get this for your phone and IPad, too.
    CoPilot doesn’t have all the campgrounds like Good Sam has in Magellan, but that’s why I have a Directory to look up campgrounds.
    HEY, GOOD SAM CLUB, TEAM UP WITH CoPilot AND GIVE RV’ERS A GOOD GPS SYSTEM!

24. Dennis on October 10th, 2011 8:42 am

I was going to purchase until I read the last few comments. It seems that the unit is more appropriate for truckers than RV’s. I also note that the Trailer Life Directory or Magellan Support has been quite regarding the fact that one cannot program for RV’s. C’mon guys, let’s address the issue so we know if this is a good purchase or not.

25. Marvelous on October 10th, 2011 9:02 am

I have this unit and I was looking for RV Settings and there is none. I thought that the price was quite expensive an bought it also. I am wondering if Magellan is going to up date and take care of the problems we are having. Sure would be nice and with out update charges. I am getting ready to hit the road and if the problems aren’t updated I just might send my back looking for a refund.

26. Dave Saunders on October 17th, 2011 1:30 pm

Is there a GPS system out there that does more than give you shortest and quickest route. I have been burned (yes, brakes burned out) by following a shortest route on my Nuivi GPS that took me down a 12% grade for 12.5 miles! Too much for my trailer brakes even when being towed by my dodge 3500 dually. Is there a program or gps unit that will give me topographical cross sections of a route. In other words, information that will warn me of major passes and/or grades on the route. This would be helpful on two points, identify steep grades like the one I experienced, and that routes that would conserve on FUEL, so I’m not climbing too many passes, etc. ; getting better fuel mileage even if the route is a little longer. Sometimes fuel consumption and saving brakes is a little more important than shortest or quickest route. If something isn’t already out there, how would we petition the manufacturers of these system to include a feature like this that the RV’r could use? Thanks

27. Homepage on June 13th, 2012 7:19 pm

… [Trackback] …

[...] Read More here: blog.rv.net/2011/08/introducing-the-magellan®-roadmate®-pro-9165t…the-ideal-rv-travel-companion/ [...] …

28. SRM Travels Marthandam Contact Number on August 18th, 2012 12:50 pm

What’s up everybody, here every person is sharing these kinds of experience, thus it’s pleasant to read this blog, and I used to
    pay a quick visit this weblog every day.

29. Check This Out on August 20th, 2012 3:11 am

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding
    It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to present one thing again and help others such as you helped me.