Vote for Your Favorite Park

July 11, 2011 by Rex Vogel · 17 Comments

The second annual America Is Your Park campaign was recently launched by National Park Foundation, in partnership with Coca-Cola, America’s State Parks, and the National Recreation and Park Association.

vote-parkAmerica Is Your Park campaign urges families to get out and discover fun ways to get active in the park while helping their favorite park win big.

Families can vote for their favorite park to win the title of “America’s Favorite Park” and a $100,000 recreation grant made possible by the Coca-Cola Live Positively initiative.

“Our national parks are home to our country’s treasures—from our iconic landscapes to the hallowed places where history happened,” said Neil Mulholland, President and CEO, National Park Foundation. “Thanks to dedicated partners like Coca-Cola and the America Is Your Park campaign, our nation’s parks can continue to receive the vital support they need.”

Last year, thanks to more than 1.6 million votes cast by its supporters, Bear Head Lake State Park in Ely, Minnesota, was named “America’s Favorite Park.”

The following two articles may be of interest:

Bear Head Lake is using the recreation grant to build a new warming hut to ensure safety and comfort for winter sports enthusiasts all season long.

Vote for your favorite park. Pictured above Great Smoky Mountains National Park. © Rex Vogel, all rights reserved

“Last year, millions of Americans showed their passion for their favorite parks by voting, so this year we’ve raised the stakes—more parks can win and there are more ways to vote,” said L. Celeste Bottorff, Vice President, Living Well, Coca-Cola North America. “We’re asking people to be ‘digital’ by voting online for their favorite park and then get ‘physical’ by getting out and having fun with us this summer.”

This summer, people can go to LivePositvely.com to help their favorite national, state, or local park win big with just the click of a button. The three parks that receive the most votes by September 6, 2011, will be awarded recreation grants.

These grants will help restore, rebuild, or enhance recreation areas in parks where people can play and be active.

Only YOUR votes can decide. You may vote as many times as you like between NOW and September 6.

You can vote in the following three ways:

• Interactive map. Use the map to search for the park you’d like to vote for, then click on the vote button. Each map vote gives your park 1 point.
  • Facebook Places check-in. Vote while you’re in your park and your park will receive 5 points.
  • Upload Photos. Share your family’s park activities and receive an additional 5 points for your park. Upload them through your Facebook account or directly from your computer.

Using this point system, the three park winners will receive grants in the following amounts:

• First Place – $100,000
  • Second Place – $50,000
  • Third Place – $25,000

Currently, the top 5 parks are:

• Soudan Underground Mine State Park, Minnesota (206,011 votes)
  • Little Ocmulgee State Park, Georgia (53,625 votes)
  • Great Smoky Mountains National Park, North Carolina/Tennessee (33,221 votes)
  • Sequoia National Park, California (28,411 votes)
  • Florence Marina State Park, Georgia (19,391 votes)

Details

Vote for your favorite park. Pictured above Joshua Tree National Park. © Rex Vogel, all rights reserved

The Coca-Cola Company

Globally, the world’s largest provider of sparkling beverages, juices, and juice drinks, and ready-to-drink teas and coffees

National Park Foundation

The official charity of America’s National Parks

America’s State Parks

With over 6,000 units and more than 725 million visits, America’s State Parks works to enhance the American quality of life

National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA)

The leading advocacy organization dedicated to the advancement of public parks and recreation opportunities

Coca-Cola Live Positively

Learn more about Coca-Cola’s efforts in America’s National Parks, vote for your favorite park, and download helpful tools to motivate your community to vote.

Worth Pondering…
In every walk with nature, one receives more than he seeks.

—John Muir

You May Also Like

If you enjoy these articles and want to read more on RV travels and lifestyle, visit my website: Vogel Talks RVing.

Last 5 posts by Rex Vogel

Comments

17 Responses to “Vote for Your Favorite Park”

1. rich on July 11th, 2011 5:27 pm

James River state Park in Virginia is my Favorite park
    Pocahontas State Park (2) to that.

2. bonnie marsh on July 11th, 2011 5:36 pm

My favorite park is FORT MCALLISTER STATE PARK in Richmond Hill, Ga.

3. Robert Cannell on July 11th, 2011 6:07 pm

Zion National Park in southern Utah is a beautiful and inspiring park. All five national parks in Utah plus Cedar Breaks, Escalante Staircase, and Dead Horse Point state park combine to make one of the most interesting areas in our west.

4. Charlie Holleman on July 11th, 2011 6:19 pm

Great Smoky Mountains National Park, North Carolina/Tennessee (33,221 votes)

5. one click away on July 11th, 2011 8:09 pm

We just got back from northern MN. We had reservations at Bear Head, we had to leave because the park closed because of government budget problems. I was not in pressed, it was a nice park but not worthy of the best. They said my 40′ RV would fit, it did, barely and not without scratches. Then it was 20 miles to town to buy fishing lic. , there should have been a small store but only a gift shop. There was not even a bench outside the check-in station.

6. Jim G on July 12th, 2011 7:53 am

I went to the referenced web site, livepositively.com and it is obvious that the domain which hosts this site is a private entity, with links to MANY issues non-related to camping and/or this promotion. I have become hesitant to participate in surveys which eminate from these types of all-encompasing sites; too bad it is not affiliated or sponsored by a camping/RV organization.

7. Manuel Enos on July 12th, 2011 9:47 am

I agree with Jim G. plus, where is the grant money coming from. Hopefully not our over extended government with its 14 trillion dollar debt and huge defecit!!

8. Rex Vogel on July 12th, 2011 10:21 am

The article states that the $100,000 recreation grant made possible by the Coca-Cola Live Positively initiative.

9. Sean Williams on July 12th, 2011 11:35 am

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to maybe get some insight on a new unit in general. I can’t chime into which site I like most, because my family and I are very new to the RV world and are oblivious to what we are even looking for. We are thinking that we want a new travel trailer but aren’t real sure on what brand or on where to get one from. If you guys have any suggestions on where to try to find one, that would be great!

10. flyttstädning stockholm on July 2nd, 2012 12:52 pm

… [Trackback] …

[...] Informations on that Topic: blog.rv.net/2011/07/vote-for-your-favorite-park/ [...] …

11. Lakenya Lascola on July 13th, 2012 6:20 pm

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

12. K-N on July 15th, 2012 2:06 pm

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

13. Harold Leveille on July 20th, 2012 5:42 pm

You are a very intelligent individual!

14. Arnetta Aradanas on July 26th, 2012 10:39 am

hello!,I like your writing so much! share we communicate more about your article on AOL? I require a specialist on this area to solve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Looking forward to see you.

15. colon cleanser on July 27th, 2012 8:22 am

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I am subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!…

16. colon cleansing on July 27th, 2012 11:20 pm

Nice post, I like so much, it’s the best information for me..

17. Shonda Dughi on August 6th, 2012 12:46 am

I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this website. I am hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming also. In fact your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own blog now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it.