Finally, a Pay-as-you-go satellite TV offer made for RVers!

March 22, 2011 by RV Today Archive · 28 Comments

By Marcel Guajardo, DISH Network RV Products Manager

DN_RV_300x250During the last year, I traveled to several rallies and trade shows across the country.  I started at the Winnebago Rally in Forest City, Iowa, speaking to RVers about their satellite TV experiences.   It was obvious that RVers love their TVs, but many travel only a few months a year and don’t want a year-long commitment.   So we launched our new “Pay-as-you-go” program that lets you simply pay for TV service for only the months you travel.

RVers can sign up for a no-contract plan in which you only pay a monthly bill for the months that you travel. This presents huge savings for RVers since you don’t have to pay a monthly bill all year long.  You can start and stop monthly service as many times as you want at no charge.    The program offers HD programming and the convenience of having a dedicated receiver in your RV.  There’s no better offer for those who want to enjoy television while they travel!

Key features of our Pay-as-you-go program:

• No contract required
  • No additional monthly service fees
  • No charges to start or stop monthly service
  • HD programming
  • Compact HD receiver
  • View your off-air channels through your HD receiver

Have a Ku-band mobile satellite antenna?  Want HD in-motion? Only DISH Network offers HD programming with any Ku-band mobile satellite antenna!

To learn more, visit www.dish.com/rv. We are also in all Camping World stores!

Last 5 posts by RV Today Archive

Comments

28 Responses to “Finally, a Pay-as-you-go satellite TV offer made for RVers!”

1. Pat the fisherman on March 22nd, 2011 4:12 pm

Anybody have recommendations as to an internet satellite provider for the RV?
    I live in the country and can only get internet through satellite at home. It is somewhat more expensive and a good deal slower than landline (cable or DSL) internet–but I am used to it.
    I’d be happy to have a pay for use internet service for the RV, but also happy to have one where I could use full time so I would use it instead of the satellite receiver dish that currently sits on top of my house.

2. Doris In Kansas on March 22nd, 2011 4:26 pm

I would like to know where I go to find out what I need to know about DISH TV in our RV…we are fulltimers and would like to know how to get local progamming where ever we go.

Thanks

3. Manuel Enos on March 22nd, 2011 4:40 pm

Dish network is not a friendly company..I know..had them for a bunch of years and stayed on phone because of their signal problems!! Switched to Direct TV a couple of years ago and have enjoyed my Sattellite TV ever since. As for internet, we use Verizon with an USB760 wireless device and are fixing to upgrade to the 4g device. We love it – never been anywhere couldn’t get a signal.

4. Walt Moore on March 22nd, 2011 4:54 pm

If Dish was the only provider I would stop watching.

5. Dick Calton on March 22nd, 2011 4:59 pm

I live off-grid in a rural area and use Verizon wireless for my internet at home and on the road. As for TV, the Dish Network has really lousy service, so I wouls stay away from them. They have a good product, but with no reliable service, who cares.

6. G. Mueller on March 22nd, 2011 5:09 pm

Stay away from Dish, since I switched to Direct TV no more problems. As far as
    internet, Verizon Wireless, has never failed me where ever we go.

7. GlenO on March 22nd, 2011 5:11 pm

I have DirecTV and it seems to work far better than DISH. When we had DISH, I seemed to always have trouble getting signals. I just wish they had a dish that would provide HD for DirecTV.

8. dann m on March 22nd, 2011 5:44 pm

had them both would not use either stick to cable(campground)

9. Robert Simpson on March 22nd, 2011 5:46 pm

What the blog says is correct as far as it goes…what it does not say according to the Dish web page is that you have to purchase the receiver and then sign up for the service. Another half truth from Dish Network…pretty common with both satellite services per my experiences.

10. Dan Rambow on March 22nd, 2011 6:37 pm

All I can say is, I have had DISH for nearly a year, and we like it. Lots of rain, wind, some snow, and lots more rain, and the signals have been consistantly good. (pacific nw location).
    We use the King-Dome on the RV when traveling with short stays. For longer stays we set up and use the antenna (dish and tri-pod) that they provided us.
    We could pay more, but the lower-middle tier of programming works for us. I think their pay-per-view movie selection is a little limited though.
    We have one single HD receiver for the bedroom, and one dual HD DVR receiver for the livingroom. With the King-Dome, we only get one satellite at a time, but it switches between the 3 satellites in under 5 seconds. With their 3 beam tri-pod mounted dish, we get all three satellites at once, on the DVD receiver, we can record two different channels at once, and watch a third recorded program all at the same time.
    Generally, we haven’t been far enough out of the local area to see about our local station reception, but where we have traveled, the local stations there are available via over the air digital reception, which works great for us in addition to what we get with the satellite.
    We are full-timing now, so the month-to-month plan isn’t for us. Don’t judge the old DISH product with the new ‘Turbo HD’ product. There has been lots of improvements from a couple of years ago.

11. Kathy Dolge on March 22nd, 2011 7:20 pm

We’ve been part-time RVers for just over 4 years. Initially, we had DirectTV at our home and would transfer the receiver to our 5th wheel. Direct required us to have 2 separate contracts — one for the house and one for the RV. When we’d use the “RV” contract, the “house” contract was extended by the number of months it was inactive. Same with the “RV” contract, so every time we traveled and then returned to home, the contracts were extended. Direct never told us this was happening until we finally decided to drop their service because of poor technical support and continually rising fees. We have been much happier with Dish. Their phone tech support has always been courteous, understanding, and helpful. At one time, because of a receiver failure, the tech support guy stayed on the phone with us for over an hour. Dish just recently added an RV team to its tech support (we’re on the road as I write this). At the present time, the RV team is overburdened because they didn’t realize how many of us RVers use their service! However, they have plans to train more techs for the team. We enthusiastically recommend Dish for RVers!

12. PJ on March 22nd, 2011 8:25 pm

I’ve had dish for several years and take a eceiver with me when we travel. I’ve had no problems with switching to local channel. I have good tech support at ththe rv when needed for a $15 service charge which I do not fine to be unreasonable as the techs usually help me out with what I think is beyond the call. I’ve had broken equipment replaced, at no cost, that was caused by wind blowing the tripod over that should have been secured.There are more times such as replacing the heads and cables. I guess everyone has problems with service copanies now but I’ve done ok with Dish.
    However, This does not mean that this policy is a good deal. Actually, this is old news

13. mtrumpet on March 23rd, 2011 4:58 am

We’ve been using DIRECTV for approximatley 6 years now. Except for the price increases which they often seem to sneak in as they go along, we’ve had no problems.

14. Geoffrey Pruett on March 23rd, 2011 9:25 am

We switched from Direct to Dish when we wanted HD from our reciever, up to then Direct had been fair to poor during storm season. Dish was much worse during storm season and after installing a replacement reciever with little improvement an actual Dish technician, not a contractor, was sent out. He moved the antenna, patched the holes from the old one, and improved the service to little notice the storm season. Having retired from commercial work on security the use of contractors was not a surprise to me nor were the problems. Company techs in well marked vans are sent out to guard the companies reputation and will take the needed time, contractors are paid by the job. Some are very good, some always strapped for time and just interested in a signature to get paid. The phone support is sometimes slow but very effective and seem to have the tools and authority to do the job. No one likes to see price increases but good service takes the sting out.

15. Jon on March 23rd, 2011 9:39 am

I have Dish network and have not problems with it. When not using it I just have them put it on pause. Cost $8.00 a month for that. I just go online and have it turned on for 8 months of the year. I get local programing and it cost $35.00 a month. Get the HD programing. No complaints with customer service. Not sure if you can get local channels with the pay as you go service or not?

16. MARGARET JORDAN on March 23rd, 2011 10:13 am

We travel 9 months a year. Had Direct TV at home 8 years and it came with 3 receivers. We simply took one of the 3 and installed it in our RV. We ONLY had to have 2 separate accounts IF we wanted to be able to receive LOCAL channels by satellite. Usually we can get local channels on our antenna, so we never have paid for 2 different accounts. Once we switched to Dish and had a terrible time finding their signal with our “traveling” dish. Dish Network requires 3 settings (Skew, Elevation, and Compass) whereas Direct TV only requires 2 settings (no Skew). Also the actual dish for Direct TV is lighter and is collapsible. Would not consider ever going back to Dish Network.

17. Thomas Becher on March 23rd, 2011 12:12 pm

I had Direct but they choose to keeps jacking the rates, so I went with Dish. I have a Wiengard Moving Veiw and have had NO problem with them. At both home and away I have had a very good reallationship with Dish. And of course, after I left Direct and went to dish, Direct wants me back and all kinds of offers. They could have bent a little bit when I asked them for a reduced rate. SORRY DIRECT.

18. Rick on March 23rd, 2011 4:15 pm

Try using verison aircard at Lake Havasu, AZ. Not going to happen.
    I use Directv and pay extra for New York, LA network stations. Use 5 months of year and on vacation rest of year. Don’t get HD but it is available with batwing if near large metro area. I do other stuff besides watch TV in my motorhome so HD isn’t a real issue for me. Maybe later when I can’t golf anymore.

19. Pat the fisherman on March 23rd, 2011 7:09 pm

I have the Verizon wireless card for internet service and use it when I am flying from city to city. But its coverage in rural areas is spotty, and there are lots of campgrounds in the West where there is no coverage. In fact, coverage at my house in the mountains in the SF Bay Area is iffy as I am right on the outer edge of their coverage according to Verizon coverage map.
    I was hoping someone could share experience on use of HughesNet satellite in RV. Or tell me if there is another internet satellite provider besides H9ughesNet.

20. Steve Elliott on March 23rd, 2011 9:53 pm

I had Dish for the first couple of years we were full time rving and found that it was very hard to get it tuned in even with a meter, we dropped Dish for a few months because we were going to be in a rv park with cable and when we started traveling again and I called Dish to get the service back they said that I would have to wait 2 years before I could sign up for their service. I called Direct and am very happy with the service. It never takes more than 5 minutes to get a 94 to 98% signal would not go back to Dish.

21. Geoffrey Pruett on March 24th, 2011 9:41 am

Seems like the major issue with the two sat services is just that , customer service. The message that seems to be ignored by both is that if the human voice that you present to your customers is poorly paid and treated, you come off as jerks. The era of “I can save you money on” is over, some just have failed to do the actual math on keeping versus dumping customers. The survivors in our national service business community are not spreading this message, it is not in their interest to help the competition. Retired from a company with a century old reputation for customer service while it was busy trying to keep service reps from providing service by centralizing and deleting all authority except management, who go home on weekends. Now they are running around wondering where the activity went and blowing huge dollars on advertising just to hold on to what is left. And we were told that a college degree made you smarter!

22. Tom Gooch on March 29th, 2011 9:09 am

We currently have Dishnet and have for around 3 years. We have cable at home, so Dish is only used in the RV. Dish has the best reputation for customer service, so I really, really feel sorry for Direct customers. Relative to any other service provider I have had awful service, mainly “helpers” giving wrong answers or outright lying. Each time we head out on a trip I am usually on the phone for an hour just getting service established. I made my own dish holder so I can usually get some signal on the first attempt, so getting signal isn’t a biggie for me. Usually, I won’t have my “package” available when I first setup so I have to have Dish zap the satellite to download my programming. Usually the helper doesn’t comprehend the RV uniqueness, and they keep wanting me to plug in the receiver to the phone line. The last time I attempted to pause the service the bill increased $5 over the previous month and the meter was still running. The pausing has limits 1) no more than 6 months and 2) no more than once a year. This guarantees them at least 6 months of billing plus the pause charge of $5 or $8 dollars.
    The good news to me is that the pay as you go service is actually by a 3rd party, Pace International. Look at “dish4myrv.com”. Pace just uses the Dish programming, but all the customer interface appears to be from Pace. Pace is a company that provides other services to the RV user industry. I plan to switch at the end of this camping season, so I haven’t actually used them yet.
    The big plus to me is the ability to pay up front and when the month is up the service stops. Pay again and its up and going for another month. Much better than pausing then finding out a month later that it wasn’t paused at all.

23. Jimmie Teet on April 17th, 2011 1:41 pm

Like Dish after several years of horrific dealings with DirecTV. We purchased our 2llpk receiver and the Winegard Automatic Carryout Antenna. Works great as we now live in our motorhome and travel extensively.

BUT … what Dish doesn’t tell RVers is that if you are already a Dish subscriber, as we are, that you cannot convert to the Dish for RVers … you have to pay fees to suspend/vacation, and are stuck with your programming unless you pay to change it!.

Only other option is to cancel Dish for at least THREE MONTHS and then resubscribe through the RV site … totally ridiculous and definitely NOT customer friendly!!

24. carolyn on May 10th, 2011 6:48 pm

I’ve just purchased the winegard carryout automatic portable satellite along with the Dish network 211k hooked everything up got activated for the pay as you go plan since this is for my travel trailer . for the life of me know one can figure out our problem we get a ( reception your receiving is not from satellite ) which means we still don’t have anything what so ever on the tv.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED !!!!!!

25. Kevlyn on May 15th, 2011 6:05 am

Thanks for the insihgt. It brings light into the dark!

26. Craig on November 19th, 2011 9:26 am

We’ve had Dish since they began, living in a large east coast metro area and now in the Rockies and use it in our RV. I’ve found service to be very good, both CS and installers. Tried to go Direct just to get the NFL package, but their equipment was misrepresented by their CS reps, not once, but twice, as I asked five questions important to us. When the installer arrived I asked him the same questions. Four out of five were unavailable. Bye-bye Direct. Seems they’ll say anything to get a contract.

27. Mark_Dish on February 20th, 2012 6:20 am

Hey it is a awesome news to know that dish tv is using Ku-band mobile satellite antenna. So you get hd channels with good quality sound. Besides that there are tons of blockbuster movies. All this at a reasonable price.

28. Scott on July 25th, 2012 2:23 pm

Here is a good deal if you sign up with dish for 2 years. http://www.getthetailgater.com