RVIA Expo, Nov. 30, 2010

November 30, 2010 by Larry Cad · 15 Comments

Greetings from Louisville, Kentucky! Today was the opening day for the annual RVIA trade show here, and our initial impressions are that the industry is very upbeat about the future.  The day started off as usual, with the opening breakfast and industry presentation by the RVIA.  The reports indicated that all segments of the industry, motorhomes, towables, etc, experienced a significant increase in sales compared to 2009.  Of course, 2009 was by all reports, a disaster, so beating that sales level wasn’t too difficult.  Forecasts for future sales do indicate future growth, and hopes are high that will in fact be the case.

Following the industry breakfast, we made our way onto the convention floor to see what we could see.  Today was kind of an overview, with more detailed inspections to come tomorrow.  The first thing we noticed was that the various manufacturers had reserved far more floor space than last year with the convention covering over 700,000 square feet.  Trying to cover all this will be a daunting task.  We walked a portion of the vendor area today and gathered brochures and other information for some future articles.  Tomorrow we will spend time trying to get answers for some of the questions submitted in earlier posts, although I did get some information for one comment that was submitted, and will delve into that in a bit.

Some of you who have followed my earlier posts will know that I am not a big proponent of full wall slides in class A motorhomes.  We toured several class A’s today with full wall slides and I am even more convinced that the full wall slide concept is a waste of time and produces undesirable floor plans.  However, when we visited the Monaco display, we saw a new slide configuration that does work.  Pictured below is their “telescope” slide configuration.  This slide provides for a very wide floor plan, with deep slides that do not totally obstruct the center aisle when the slide is closed.  I don’t know if you can tell how the slide works from the photos, but if you are in the market for a new diesel motorhome, do yourself a favor and check out this feature.

Obviously as you telescope slide sections, you lose ceiling height, but in this configuration, it works nicely.  I guess I would say that the telescope slide gives you width you can use while the full wall slide just gives you width.

In an earlier post, Jerry Peters asked me the following:

“When are the RV manufactures going to offer residential size beds in more models. I am over 6 feet tall and a 74 inch bed is too short. How can they legally call this size a queen bed?”

I had never noticed this and decided to look into it here at the show, and found that in most cases, the manufacturers were up front with their bed sizes as shown by the following photos:

And in addition, most supplied a full length, 80″ mattress.  I never paid any attention to this feature and want to thank Jerry for bringing it to my attention.

As I said, tomorrow will be a busy day and hopefully we will have a lot to talk about at the end.  Until then, happy camping.

Larry

Last 5 posts by Larry Cad

Comments

15 Responses to “RVIA Expo, Nov. 30, 2010”

1. david on December 1st, 2010 1:07 pm

While in Louisville, how about finding a way to express your disapproval of the KY Dept of Revenue’s recent pursuit of RV owners who have used Montana or Florida LLCs to purchase their motor homes. I think that RV organizations should move their business, in the form of conventions, etc, to states that are more RV owner friendly. This initiative by the KY Dept of Revenue will impact many retired RV owners and full timers. Sorry for repeating this note here, but I posted it first on yesterday’s thread and am afraid it might get missed there. Any advice for those of us dealing with the Department of Revenue as to how to respond to them, etc would be greatly appreciated.

2. SugarfreeDK on December 1st, 2010 6:44 pm

I think you’re going to be the right guy Mr Blogger, to put your 2 cents in about this concern. You appear to address all things coming your way. I believe the guy has a point. Pretty sure nothing to ‘resolve’ or even look thru the subject while there in Louisville but getting some info out to your readers will as usual, be apprecaited I”m sure.

3. Tom Green on December 1st, 2010 6:52 pm

I assume David from Ky was talking about buying a RV in Mt. or Fl. and having to pay sales tax to Ky. when he got his rig licensed there. Since Mt. dosn’t charge a sales tax, states that do always get you when you come home and license your rig there.
    They do that in Washington state also.

I have a question. When I level my 35 foot 5er I just put blocks under one tire and that raises the whole rig on that side while the other tire is still on the ground. Does that harm the tire or anything else for that matter?
    Tom

4. hoppe on December 1st, 2010 7:57 pm

Tom
    I think the OP was referring to the effort to Make them pay sales tax in Ky After they have purchased and licensed their rigs to/through and LLC in Montana or where ever. I understand that they have decided to take a dim view of this ‘end run’ on the tax man. Guess they will like it even less when folks Sell their Stix and Brix and leave the state for good. Yup Yup, we can do that.

5. hoppe on December 1st, 2010 8:00 pm

Tom
    As to your leveling ? no harm, no foul, leveling is the better thing. Less stress on your ‘box’.

6. Bob and Julie on December 1st, 2010 8:16 pm

Interesting comments.
    I have no sympathy for RVers who, through one trick or another, try to avoid paying their just taxes. Met a motorhomer who registered his rig in Arkansas with Arkansas plates. Turns out he lived in Arizona and was a firefighter for the city of Flagstaff. The whole thing was he does not want to pay his just taxes and yet AZ taxes pays his salary.

As for jacking up only one tire to level a rig. That is the surest way to early tire failure.

7. David Marsh on December 1st, 2010 9:47 pm

I’m hearing rummers that we RVers that pull 5th wheels are going to have to havea CDL. Is this ture ? If so how soon?

Thank for looking into this.

8. David Marsh on December 1st, 2010 9:52 pm

I’m hearing rummers that we RVers that pull 5th wheels willl be required to have a CDL. Is this ture? It so how soon?

Thank you for looking into this.

Dave Marsh

9. Liz Bard on December 1st, 2010 10:46 pm

While you are in Louisville, can you look for any vendors who repair the side windows in Class A’s. I know of the one in Hudson, FL and heard about one in California, but I am in Texas and wonder if there is something in the central US. It sure would make it easier on me since we are not fulltimers and do not have 2 weeks to spare right now – 4 days out, 2 for repairs and 4 days back, unless more is needed because of weather problems.

10. Thomas Becher on December 2nd, 2010 4:55 pm

Look to see if any or which manufactuers are putting some real brakes(disc) on their traveltrailers. The cost between substandard and disc isn’t that much anymore. Course even a buck is more profit for them. The heck with the end buyer.

11. Katrina on December 3rd, 2010 8:17 am

Are any of the manufacturers using LED lights in their rigs? Is there any info on LED lights at the show? I’d like to know more about the kind of light they produce and is it in fact close to the bulbs they are replacing so they won’t clobber my eyes when reading, etc.

12. Interior Decor Design on December 3rd, 2010 1:08 pm

The design layout looks very spacious. That is the one thing that usually bothers me about RV’s but these look really nice and easy to move around in.

13. Bob and Julie on December 4th, 2010 6:59 pm

Dave Marsh

Whether or not a CDL is required to pull RVs is always a good springboard for debate. The answer is that it varies from state to state.
    Fortunately, someone has already done the hard work for us.
    Here is the hot link;

Keep having fun.
    Bob

14. Happy Camper on December 9th, 2010 6:03 pm

That’s great to hear! It’s been quite an unfortunate situation on all markets, and even if there is just a tiny margin of improvement, it’s still a welcoming respite.

15. James S on December 19th, 2010 3:06 pm

Normaly if you have any questions on a rv show you should your local dealership and ask them where they shows are going to be and if you want to know anything about new floor plans they are trained with reps to know those things and they know if the reps for the products will be there and you can always get the answer from the rv from a rep who helps design and buld them. I am new to Mike Thompsons RV and all day every day i am trained on everything we have on the lot and have been trained on other stuff as well when it comes to RVs and I am always open to what people have to say about the RV and what they like and dont like so it could help me become a better salesman and later on i could also help people find there dream RV so they can spen the time with their familys on a beautiful vacation please Email me any input on trailers you may have J_Cali_RV_Vactions@yahoo.com im James and thank you for you help