A Well Kept Secret. The Best RV Shows in The Country

May 13, 2010 by Lug_Nut · 18 Comments

RV Show 026

A Lug_Nut tip.   RV shows throughout the country each year create excitement and attract tens of thousands of eager enthusiasts.  For the price of the admission you can view all the latest products from million dollar rigs to the latest five dollar camping gadget.  This is the one stop spot where you can view all, or certainly most, of the RV manufacturer’s offerings.  It is a place that makes comparing different rigs far easier.

If, however, you are really interested in buying a particular unit, be it a motorized or towed vehicle, better get there early, and if possible not on a weekend.  Viewing and getting the sales people’s full attention can be very challenging when they are besieged by the crowds.  New designs and high end units are normally flooded with people, many of whom have no intention of buying, let alone even affording, such a rig.  But, for the admission they paid, they feel entitled to view all.

RV Show 020There are, however, other RV shows that go on throughout the country that you may not know about.  These shows, many of which deal with the higher end products, are more personal and are aimed at the RV buyer that may be looking at moving up.  In general they attract only hundreds, not tens of thousands.  There is no admission charge to go to one of these events and personal attention from any or all of the vendors is assured.

RV Show 013These unique shows can be found at select RV resorts across the country.  Resorts such as RiverBend Motor Coach Resort, Pelican Lake Motor Coach Resort, Outdoor Resorts, and Signature Coach Resorts are just some found in the state of Florida that host these each year.  They are not private events, they are all open to the public.

RV Show 007I have attended several in South Florida over the past few years and have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one.  The personal attention and the caliber of the sales people that are assigned to these events far exceed the conventional RV show offering.  By far the most elaborate show that I attended this year was at RiverBend in LaBelle Florida.  It had the same glittering coach line up as the others, middle to high end products all the way up to over two million dollars.  But, there was free shuttle from the parking lot, live music, hoe down, full bar, restaurant, beer tent, hot dog stand, craft show, vendors booths, the largest “G” scale operating train set in a Florida RV park and even free hot air balloon rides in the ReMax Airship.  All of this was topped off with a gala sold out dinner prepared by the Hendry County Cattleman’s Association with live entertainment and dancing.  Needless to say, this two day event was worth attending.

RV Show 015

So, how do you find out about these exclusive shows throughout the country?  Ask around, watch for advertising.  Ask your local RV dealer, your camping neighbor or your camp host.  Following forums like RV.NET can also be a great way to find out what’s happening and learn about such events.

Let’s hear from those that have been to one of these and those who have not, but would like to.

Just Thought You Should Know   -   Lug_Nut   -    Peter Mercer

Last 5 posts by Lug_Nut

Comments

18 Responses to “A Well Kept Secret. The Best RV Shows in The Country”

1. Art Armstrong on May 13th, 2010 4:59 pm

Hey Lug_Nut I blew up your photo of the hot air balloon (pun intended) and I think that me flying high!!!!!
    I think your statement “the largest “G” scale operating train set in a Florida RV park” is miss-leading………….. I would venture to say that it IS the largest “G” scale operating set in the US, and that is also probably the BEST.

Art

2. Dave S. on May 13th, 2010 6:42 pm

Would like to hear about these shows as we travel quite a bit but not 365 YET but are looking to upgrade in the near future from our 2005 Class A 37ft.

Are there any in the TX area in the Fall?

3. Billk on May 13th, 2010 7:33 pm

LugNut
    We attended and it was the best that we attended. We almost bought a Magna but the DW didn’t like how short the coach was. By chance do you stay there? The RV show is just a plus for the RV Resort.

4. Lug_Nut on May 13th, 2010 9:46 pm

Art Armstrong, No pun taken. I agree with your ranking, however I am unable to confirm this, therefore you can believe what you believe. Thank you for your very qualified opinion and for your great input.

5. Lug_Nut on May 13th, 2010 9:48 pm

Dave S, Yes, I’m sure such shows are common in Texas, however, mainly during high RV season. Fall therefore may not qualify. Thank you for your participation on this topic and for your valued input.

6. Lug_Nut on May 13th, 2010 9:52 pm

Billk, I’m glad you were able to attend the RiverBend event. Yes, I spend a good portion of the winter there. Thank you for taking the time to participate in this topic and for your great input.

7. Dave S. on May 14th, 2010 6:05 pm

How do we go about finding these in TX or any state for that matter so we could plan our next get-away and take in one or 2 of these shows.

Is there a website?

8. Billk on May 14th, 2010 8:46 pm

Lugnut
    stop by lot 87, we just purchased it in March. we might find a Coctail or Three.
    Billk

9. Lug_Nut on May 14th, 2010 9:24 pm

Dave S, No, there is no website dedicated to these, however, ask local dealers. Newell, for one, seem to paticipate on a regular basis. Perhaps an e-mail to them may shed light on one near your travels. Thanks for your input on this topic.

10. Lug_Nut on May 14th, 2010 9:29 pm

Billk, I’m glad you did not state the resort you are speaking about, it may bring a great crowd. I will pop by next season, cocktails are very good bait. Please stop by 1 early in the season to remind me. Thank you for your great input.

11. M.O. on May 15th, 2010 12:29 pm

“New designs and high end units are normally flooded with people, many of whom have no intention of buying, let alone even affording, such a rig. But, for the admission they paid, they feel entitled to view all.”

When I read this line in your article about RV shows to attend I found it to be a bit presumptous. My husband and I are attending RV shows to educate ourselves on which rig we will be buying in a year to live in and I had no idea that the people I had been dealing with thought that I was only there because I paid admission and was entitled to view all. Are only certain people supposed to be able to view all.
    We had hoped that when we started fulltiming and perhaps workkamping that that sort of attitude could be left behind. One last question will you be listing the RV shows for those that are welcome to come and see ALL RVs whether they are buying with cash or dreaming? I will be looking for that list.

Normally I enjoy your articles, this one showed me the wrong colors.

12. Lug_Nut on May 15th, 2010 6:17 pm

M.O, I appreciate your point of view, but I think you may be misunderstanding what I’m saying. People, like you, are interested for a future purchase. There are folks that on a rainy or cool day, end up at an RV show. Some may find it entertaining to tour large rigs and criticize their cost and how someone could waste that much money on such a vehicle. I have witnessed this on many occasions. I’m sorry you object to my method of explaining it, but it does not change the fact. You must realize that the vendors, coach and trailer sellers, have paid dearly to promote and sell their products. They only have a window of time during the show hours to accomplish this. Those potential buyers that may be also trying to view the products may have a more difficult time in both viewing and getting the desired information.
    Again, I’m sorry that this upsets you, never the less, it presents an obstacle for both the sellers and the buyers.
    Thank you for your comment. I hope you at least understand my point of view, even if you disagree. Your input is very valuable and most appreciated, thank you.

13. John A Bird on May 27th, 2010 10:53 am

We love class A motorhomes, my problem is most of the TV’s are placed where you must crane your neck in order to view. It would be nice if the manufacturer would place the TV and provide seating that would allow the viewer to sit in a neutral position.

14. Denny Wagaman on May 27th, 2010 7:42 pm

Pet peave boy do I have one (or two). Dinning tables that are located on the street side and kitchens on the curb side. I would rather dine, play games or whatever overlooking my patio instead of my nighbors. It is amazing how many places one can stay and the view of mts, ocean, lake etc. etc. is out of the curb side of the rig. And then!!! AND THEN they add two or three larger windows on the drivers side of the coach instead of the patio side…. AND along with that they are reducing either the number of widows in a coach or box them with coverings of material so that you just have a little space to see out of. Oh for the Prevost windows to be able to see the outside. Yep you guessed it we don’t care a hoot about the cabinet storage that we would lose if we could have those large windows. Take a look at the upscale coach floorplans. It is difficult to find the kitchen on the road side of the coach. Oh well the Prevost are looking better every day.

15. Lug_Nut on May 27th, 2010 11:38 pm

John A Bird, Great point. Take a look at the models that offer midship TV’s. They are great. You can use the front seats for more than just company visiting. Thanks for your very fitting input.

16. John Shelton on June 22nd, 2010 1:45 pm

There used to be a big RV show every year in a south Atlanta suburb. They soon started charging admission to these showrooms……..then admission began getting ridiculous. I just don’t feel willing to pay a retailer a fee to shop their merchandise and that is what paying admission to these sales events that are called “RV Shows” amounts to. I, therefore, have not been to an “RV Show” in several years. When the manufacturers and dealers get together and assemble a gaggle of RVs – and accessories – for sale at one location and invite everyone to view their merchandise for free (maybe even provide free soft drinks and hot dogs), then I will again attend “RV Shows” when one comes near me. Might even buy one (RV or RV accessory) if I find one that suits my fancy.

17. Bill on June 26th, 2010 4:59 pm

I am interested in moving up from a fifth wheel to a class A so this article about some shows interested me. I clicked on the links you provided but I didn’t find any information about actual RV shows on the sites that came up. Do you have any specifics as to date and place for some of these shows?

18. Lug_Nut on June 26th, 2010 5:29 pm

Bill, I did not specifically name any websites, perhaps others did. Just check dealers in your area, particularly large dealers. Also inquire through high end RV resorts. Thank you for your post.