Top 15 RV Parks and Campgrounds to Take Your Pet
Our blog readers have offered their top choices of RV parks and campgrounds to visit with their pets. As with any “top whatever” list, all readers may not agree. If you have other favorite pet-friendly places you like to visit or would recommend, I encourage you to do so. Share what you know with other pet parents who may be looking for that special place to go with their furry friends!
1. KOA in Lake Placid, NY - Doggie park where your dog can exercise on various doggie ramps. http://www.koa.com/where/ny/32131/
2. KOA in Badlands, SD - Large fenced-in area to allow the dogs to run free and the highway rest stops in SD have dog pens to allow your dog a chance to walk about off leash. http://www.koa.com/where/sd/41111/
3. The Springs at Borrego, CA - Dog owners will love the very large fenced dog park with fresh water and benches. At 3PM there are usually 15 to 20 dogs playing there, the parents just chat and socialize. This is the most beautiful park, surrounded by the mountains of Anza Borrego Desert, no noise just the buzz of hummingbirds! Extra large pull through sites. http://www.springsatborrego.com/golf.htm
4. KOA at St. Mary, MT - Offers dog sitting and walking. http://www.koa.com/where/mt/26117/
5. Dumplin Valley Farm RV Park, Kodak, TN - Open year round. Wireless Internet service. 865-397-7942. Great overnight stop for anyone with a dog. The sites are grassy with gravel underneath and there is plenty of room to take your dog for a walk or run. Pets must be kept on a leash and you will need to carry a plastic bag for the poop. Nice picnic pavilion, clean restrooms and it is only 1 1/2 miles from I-40 exit #407. Owners live on the premises giving the camping area a homey feel.
6. Friday’s RV Retreat – McCloud, CA 530-964-2878. Six easy miles south of McCloud on Squaw Valley Road. All breeds welcome, provided they are well behaved. Nice area for dogs to play. Beautiful RV park in pine forest. Pull through sites with full hookups available. Pine trees and shrubs between sites. Lots of privacy and shade.
7. Normandy Farms Family Campground, Foxboro, MA – Freedom Tail Park is a large fenced area for the dogs to run. Clean, has a dog wash and water fountains for humans and dogs. When you check it, they greet your dog with a treat and a tag for their collar with your campsite number on it in case the dog gets lost. http://www.normandyfarms.com
8. Hidden Valley Resort, Milton, WI - Very clean and nice. Large, off-leash pet area. They provide poop bags and the area is spotless. http://www.hiddenvalleyrvresort.com/
9. Trav-L-Park Campground, Virginia Beach, VA - This dog park is HUGE! http://www.htpvabeach.com/
10. Clackamette city park, Oregon City, Oregon – Very large, shaded, grassy area. Just a few blocks away is a city-sponsored dog park fenced in with used tennis balls from the tennis courts nearby. http://www.oregoncityparks.org/parks/clackamette_rv_park.html
11. Four Paws Kingdom in Rutherfordton, NC – Great place for pet owners. Caters to dog owners with off leash areas for small and large dogs, a pet bathhouse, and activities such as a swimming pond and agility areas. www.fourpawskingdom.com
12. KOA Fayetteville, NC - Wonderful fenced pet playground complete with balls, toys and water. Very clean. Campground staff very friendly. Nice place to stop on your way south. http://www.koa.com/where/nc/33123/
13. Bentsen Palm Village RV Resort, McAllen/Mission, TX - Along the Rio Grand River. Wonderful area with fenced dog park and a separate fenced agility park with equipment. Located next to the Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park. Not a lease-free park but a good place to ride your bike, walk, or take the tractor-pulled wagon to view the birds and other animals. http://bentsenpalmvillage.com/rvpark.html
14. KOA in Statesville NC - Lake Norman State Park is nearby for trails, etc. http://www.koa.com/where/nc/33157/
15. Oops! We don’t have 15! This is where you can suggest your own favorite RV park or campground to visit with your pets. Submit your favorites now!
Let’s see if we can create a Top 100 List!
Happy Pet Travels!